Juvenile Offender FAQ Albuquerque, NM

Learning that your child is in trouble with the law can be one of the most harrowing experiences for parents. As a result, you must secure proper legal counsel in Albuquerque to navigate the issue to the best of your ability.

Here at Angela Arellanes Law, I offer essential criminal defense services to clients of all ages, including young people. I also make certain my clients fully understand what they’re up against by keeping them informed throughout the case. The following is a list of FAQs many people have about juvenile criminal offenses and what they can entail.

When your child needs help with a serious legal issue, you can trust in my law firm to provide trusted guidance. Please schedule a consultation today by calling (505) 247-2417 or contact us to learn more.

What kind of crimes are juveniles most often involved in?

In most cases, juvenile offenses involve less serious crimes, such as shoplifting, vandalism, underage drinking, and truancy. However, some minors become involved in very serious crimes, including violent offenses and theft of high value items. Regardless of the severity of the offense, your child must have dependable legal counsel.

Can minors be incarcerated for criminal wrongdoing?

Keep in mind that it’s rare for minors to be incarcerated, unless the crime was particularly egregious, or the minor is a repeat offender. When incarceration does occur, a minor can be placed in a local detention center, or a state facility designed to accommodate young offenders.

What types of punishments are most common for minors?

 In many cases, minors are given probation, which is often accompanied by certain conditions. For instance, your child may be obligated to attend counseling or pay a person back if theft is involved. Some juvenile defenders must also undergo assessment and evaluation to ensure they’re staying out of trouble and satisfying the conditions of their offense.

Can cases against minors ever be dropped?

A time waiver allows the case against a minor to be dropped, provided that certain conditions are met (meaning conditions like counseling and repayment). The young offender will also need to avoid trouble for a period of six months in order to qualify for a time waiver. A juvenile defense attorney can provide more information on time waivers and whether your child qualifies.

Hablamos Español